As a Medical Center Administrator, it’s easy to be consumed with the many demands of day-to-day operations.
Add a disruptive event such as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic into the mix, and you can quickly become overwhelmed by emerging issues, shifting priorities, staff needs, safety concerns, site visits, and other daily management demands.
Yet, even the most challenging times are usually measured in months, not years, and Medical Centers must sustain a basic rhythm of planning and executing toward long-term goals, strategies, and priorities.
With that in mind, here is an interesting question to consider: Is it too early to start thinking about FY22?
⇒ On one hand, FY21 is only a quarter complete and there is much work yet to be done within the year.
⇒ One other hand, FY22 is a mere nine months away. We can anticipate that FY22 will bring unique opportunities and challenges influenced by variables as wide ranging as political transition, new strategic initiatives, public health, and global conflict.
Certainly, FY22 has the potential to present financial and budgetary challenges as the many resources utilized to support the COVID-19 response may need to be integrated into your VAMC’s general funding and operations.
If you already have an eye on FY22, here are ten thought provoking questions to help you formulate your planning approach:
Ten Planning Questions for FY22
- What types of planning are most important for your Station? Is true Strategic Planning necessary or is a purely tactical approach more appropriate?
- Who from your Station should participate in planning? Will Service Chiefs be given a role/voice? What other external stakeholders must be involved?
- What is your planning philosophy with regard to employing a “centralized” or “decentralized” approach?
- What inputs and data will be needed to inform your planning?
- What specific results do you expect from your planning efforts? Do you intend to generate a written plan with formal goals? Or is a simple list of initiatives and projects sufficient?
- What milestones do you expect in your planning process? By when must your planning efforts be complete?
- When/how does financial analysis and budgeting fit into the picture? How can you best integrate strategic, operational, and financial planning?
- Where does FTEE fit into your planning methodology? To what degree can you achieve strategic hiring plans?
- What opportunities are there to streamline and optimize your planning efforts?
- Once your planning is complete, how will you track execution and adjust as needed?
Let the Plan4 Team help you find the right answers to your questions about the best way to prepare for FY22
Would you like some help to review these questions and design your approach for FY22? If so, our experts at Plan4 Healthcare stand ready to assist you and your team.
Drawing on decades of cumulative experiences serving as a partner to VAMCs, we offer best practices, an extra set of hands, and modern planning solutions to optimize your planning approach. Our 4Cast platform, which is currently utilized by thousands of VA employees, is a modern, web-based solution designed to link strategic, operational, and budgetary planning together in unique and meaningful ways.